Wednesday 15 August 2012

Day 11 - Roll Up Pencil Case, Another Scrap Buster

Yesterday I made a pen roll for my nice coloured fineliners. Today I wanted to make a similar one for the rest of my pens and pencils, again using up scrap fabric that I've had lying around for ages.

This one is dead easy, you just need two pieces of fabric that are wide enough to fit all your pens and pencils in and that are double the length of the longest pen/pencil you're putting in it (because you're going to fold the flap over before you roll it up), plus seam allowance. You also need a third type of fabric to make your pockets out of, plus a ribbon to tie it together when you roll it up.

Sew your two pieces of fabric together right sides facing, leaving a gap so that you can turn it inside out , once you have turned it the right way round, sew this hole up. Then cut out your pockets, measuring them so they are roughly the length and width you need then to be.


I used pinking shears to cut the pockets and then just top stitched them (it's easy and it looks quite nice).  I then hand stitched the ribbon to the centre of the roll, but roughly a quarter of the way up, this means that when you fold the top over, the ribbon should be almost dead centre. (I roll mine up so either side meets in the middle, however if you roll yours from end to the other, you need to position you ribbon to allow for this)

Then just fold the flap over, roll it up and off you go!

Flap folded over

All rolled up and ready to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment