Monday 30 July 2012

Days 3, 4, 5 & 6

I may have already failed at my challenge of posting on this blog everyday, but I have been crafting everyday (promise). The last few day have been a bit crazy, I got another job (at Cath Kidston, whoop!) and between my new job and the job I already have at a local cafe, I was working a lot of hours, and then it was my boyfriends birthday and I made him an awesome present and then took him out for the day (more on that later)

For my Day 3 challenge, I wanted to make a slip cover for my pouffe in the living room (I think in America you call them ottomans). Basically when we moved in to our flat, we brought two sofas with us, the first one got in through the front door, down the hall and into the living with no dramas. The second one got jammed in the front door and we couldn't get it in or out! My dad eventually took a hack saw to the frame and it ended up in the tip, but not before I'd rescued the two seat cushions, they were just too comfy not to salvage! For the last 9 months I've had the cushion stacked on top of each of other with a blanket draped over the top, they make a great footstool and it's always good to have an extra seat for when people come round. I've been intending to make a proper slip cover for my make shift pouffe since then, and while searching Pinterest the other day, I found this great tutorial by Design Sponge, so I though I would give it a go. For the full tutorial click on the link above, I will just give you the basic gist, but it really wasn't too difficult, and I'm really just a beginner with sewing.

Ok, so you need, whatever you want to cover, your fabric (I used quite a stretchy knit that I got from a charity shop, it's got a really retro pattern on it and has silver thread running through, it, it's awesome!), measuring tape, fabric scissors, pins, and of course, your sewing machine.

Firstly, measure the top of your pouffe to get a measurement for the width and length. Mine is 24"wide and 28"long. Then I measured the height of the sides (12") so each of the four sides are 12"high and 28"long. Cut out your pieces to these measurements, allowing for your seam allowance (again for the full tutorial check out Design Sponge) Don't forget that if you are using a patterned fabric, to make sure that the pattern is the right way up! Then you just need to sew the sides together and iron the seams flat, then sew the top piece to your tube of sides and iron the seams flat, hem it and that's it your done! Told you it was easy didn't I? I did check that my slip was going to fit after each stage, so that I could let out or take in if necessary, but me fabric was quite a stretchy knit, so it needed to be a bit snug.

I absolutely love me new pouffe cover, it looks so much better than it was before, and the best bit is that I made, AND it only took me about 45mins from start to finish. If you're a better and faster sewer than I am, then it would probably only take you about 20mins. Magic!
Before

After!

No comments:

Post a Comment