Monday 23 July 2012

Day 1 Fabric Shoe Update

For my first attempt I thought I would do something fairly simple. This isn't a craft that I actually got from Pinterest, but I did get the inspiration from this post by Allison at Dream a Little Bigger, which I did find on Pinterest. As I have about ten pairs of the same pumps from Primark which are all looking a bit grubby, I wanted to give them a new lease of life. I love the lace that Allison used on her pumps, but I needed to cover my shoes entirely because they are definitely looking a little worse for wear.

What you need:

  • A pair of pumps
  • Enough fabric to cover both shoes ( I used a Cath Kidston Spots fabric)
  • Fabric scissors
  • Craft glue
  • Small paint brush
These aren't the actual pumps that I covered, I forgot to take pictures of any of the stages that I actually did!
Oh, and please excuse the terrible photography.

  • Firstly you need to measure your fabric against your shoes. I laid the fabric against the sides of the shoes and cut enough length of fabric to cover from the centre back all the way round to just beyond the middle of the front of the shoe (don't worry if you miss calculate this bit, we can rectify that later) I found that cutting the fabric to roughly the shape of the sides of the shoes helps, otherwise you have to tuck the excess fabric under which just looks messy.
  • Glue a strip down the centre back of the shoe and stick the fabric down ( I folded the fabric under slightly so that I had a neat edge) then glue a strip all the way down the side of the shoe. It's best just to glue a thin strip close to the sole, otherwise you may find that your fabric goes a bit crispy once the glue has dried. Follow the line of the shoe with the fabric round to the front, again for this I tucked the fabric under slightly to get a smooth line. This is where cutting the fabric to the shape of the shoe helps, because otherwise you have loads of fabric that you would have to tuck under and they would end up looking really bulky.
  • Depending on what look you want for the top edges of the shoe, you can either glue all around the top edge and repeat the tuck-under-and-stick step, or you can fold the fabric over and into the shoe, which is what I did. You will need to snip the fabric to fit the curve, but as I used a slightly thicker fabric, I found this was more secure. It doesn't look too special on the inside, but once your foot's in it, who's going to notice?





  • If, like me, you didn't quite have enough fabric to cover the toe nicely (again I would suggest tucking the fabric under for a neat edge if you did) then simply cut another piece of fabric and stick it across the toe. If you glue a strip on either side of the shoe and tuck the fabric under before glueing, then it looks fairly neat. Then you just have to snip the fabric and tuck it inside the shoe. Getting a neat looking line around the edge, and particularly the front of the shoe, is quite fiddly, but if you're using craft glue then you have plenty of time to play around before the glue dries.



And there you have it, your spangly brand new old shoes.


No comments:

Post a Comment